Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Ashton's 2nd Birthday - The Zoo

So we celebrated Ashton's birthday with friends and family a few days before his birthday. On his birthday, we took him to the zoo for the first time. He loved it. He would get really excited when he would see animals and by the end, he was saying "animal" really well. Unfortunately, 1/4 of the zoo was closed due to reconstruction, so we didn't get to see the penguins, the bears or the lions. But it was still a lot of fun. The area they are reconstructing is going to open next Spring, so maybe we'll go back for his 3rd birthday.

I love this picture of Kyle and Ashton.

Checking out the monkeys

I loved these two little monkeys. Just basking in the morning sun.

I think skunks are so cute. They just look so sweet and innocent.
I actually know someone who has a pet skunk.

Sweet little boy excited to be at the zoo for the first time.


The elephants had just gotten their breakfast so it was neat
to watch them eat their food.


When I first saw this elephant, I thought it was baby Suri.
I didn't see the little gray thing laying on the ground at first.

THIS is baby Suri. I was sad she wasn't up playing around,
but we were there early so she was still enjoying her nap in the
morning sun.



This is the baby orangutan. I don't know it's name or sex, but
it was so cute watching it play.


And here are the parents. Buried in the hay and fast asleep.
I wish Kyle and I could do that while the little ones played, but we would
wake up to a disaster.

I was glad I got this shot when I did. Right after I took it,
he turned his bottom towards us and wouldn't move. They were
cleaning his habitat and he wanted back in.



These birds are so majestic. It's no wonder they are our nations
bird. Just look at them. I did observe something about them though.
Down by the Wild Animal Amphitheater, they had a golden eagle, a bald eagle
and an owl. I heard what Kyle and I thought was the bald eagle. It turned
out to be the owl. The bald eagles cry was high pitched and kinda "wimpy."
Not at all what I thought it would be. But it is still a beautiful bird.


The tigers were so active that day. They are such beautiful
animals. I was awestruck watching them.


This one was pacing back and forth by the entrance to their enclosed
habitat, which happens to be right above the underpass. It
was pretty neat.



The birthday boy!


This giraffe was all by themselves. I think they may have the
males and females separated.

And the rest of the giraffes.

I love this picture. This one is just sitting by while the other one
works hard burrowing away.
I don't remember what they are called, but they are actually a rodent.
I think the largest species of rodent in the world.

I loved this lone bird sitting in the center part of the reptile house.


This was my failed attempt at taking a picture of all four of us
on the train.



I love this picture of these Prairie Dogs. Kyle said that was me and him.
I totally agree.
You can barely see the two cougars sleeping in this picture.
You have to look really close.

After all that fun he fell asleep in the car shortly after we left.
I hope he had a good birthday and knows how much we love him.

He may drive me absolutely crazy, but he is the sweetest little boy. He is a good big brother. He has such a big heart, and I am so thankful he chose me to be his mommy.

No comments:

Post a Comment